How Do You Apply for Emergency Housing?


Quick Answer

You can apply for emergency housing services by contacting state, local and charitable recipients of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Homelessness Assistance program. The HUD's website provides a directory of both available homeless services and state, local and charitable organizations that receive and disperse the funds.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

You can locate area homeless assistance programs by first going to the Department of Housing and Urban Development's online portal at Portal.HUD.gov. Click on the HUD Exchange Homelessness Assistance page to go to an interactive map where you can click on your state to view programs and contact information. The bottom of the map page also has a list of programs you click to view contact information. These programs include the Continuum of Care Program, Emergency Solutions Grants Program, Rural Housing Stability Assistance Program and Shelter Plus Care Program. In addition to contact information, each program page also provides a mailing list sign-up and questions venue.

To find programs by locations, click on your state on the interactive map, and then for an organization or charity. The organization or charity pages each provide a list of offices with addresses, names of individuals in charge and phone and email contact information. You can also view a list of the organization or charity's awards for the past year.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions