How Do You Apply for Disabled Housing?


Quick Answer

To apply for Section 811 disabled housing assistance, contact a local independent living center or public housing agency. Some national nonprofit organizations such as Easter Seals and The Arc provide help with securing supportive housing for the disabled.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Contact your local Public Housing Agency for details about how to apply for the Section 811 housing assistance program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Section 811 helps people living with disabilities find accessible, low-income housing. If your income is at or below the federal poverty line, you may qualify for assistance. Also, one member of the household must be deemed physically, developmentally or mentally disabled. Other sources of information about Section 811 include your local Medicaid office and the housing and finance agency.

Each of the 50 states have a local independent living center offering consultation and referrals to disabled citizens. To find a center in your state visit ILRU.org, locate your state on the detailed map and click on your state. Contact information for each ILRU location in the state is listed, including director names. In addition to housing information, centers offer peer counseling and independent living skills training.

Disability.gov provides a number of resources that can help you find accessible housing options including SocialServe.org. Use this site to find affordable housing that accommodates people who need features such as wheelchair ramps and wide doorways.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions