Am I Entitled to Child Care Costs?


Quick Answer

According to Child Care Aware, individuals might be entitled to child care costs depending on a number of factors and circumstances. For the 2013 tax year, there are Child Tax Credits available for families with earned income less than $51,567.

Continue Reading
Am I Entitled to Child Care Costs?
Credit: Ariel Skelley Blend Images Getty Images

Full Answer

To learn if you are eligible for Child Tax Credits and other equivalents, fill out Form 8332 from the IRS, which allows you to claim a child as a dependent. You must to choose whether you are single, separated, married, divorced or widowed first. Then, determine if you are single or head of household regarding your filing status. Then, provide the names of the dependent children and whomever else lived with you during the tax year as well as how much support you provided for each household member.

After entering the names of your dependents, provide what the child's relationship is to you. You have the option of describing your relationship as that of a biological child, adopted child, stepchild, foster child or up-for-adoption child. You are then asked if your child is a U.S. Citizen for the tax year. If you meet all of the necessary requirements or you are a member of the military, you are eligible for a child tax credit. The total determination depends on your earned income and how many children you have under the age of 17 living at home.

Learn more about Child Support & Custody
Related Videos

Related Questions