How Do You Address a Judge?


Quick Answer

The correct way to address a judge in the United States depends on whether addressing him in person or in writing. Address a current or former judge as "Your Honor" when speaking in person, according to Robert Hickey, author of "The Official Guide to Names, Titles and Forms of Address."

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Address a letter to a judge with the words "The Honorable" before his full name. In the letter, use "Dear Judge" with his surname, explains Mr. Hickey. In a social setting, if the judge is a personal acquaintance, address him as "Judge" followed by his surname. These rules apply to both current and former judges, even if the judge has left the court and taken different employment.

Learn more about Law

Related Questions