How Do You Access Juvenile Detention Records?


Quick Answer

The process for accessing juvenile detention records varies from state to state. First, determine the state where the record is held. Next, locate the information needed to access records in that state. At a minimum, one must supply the individual's full name and date of birth to access a record.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

In Texas, submit a record request in writing using form CR-63. This form must be completed and returned by mail along with a fingerprint card and full payment. Public records can also be requested by sending as much identifying information as possible along with a payment of $10 to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

In New York, submit a request in writing to the Record Review Unit, New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, 4 Tower Place, Albany, New York, 12203-3764. In Wyoming, contact the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation by phone at 307-777-7181 and request an instruction form and a fingerprint card. In West Virginia, make a request to the county clerk of the county where the record is held.

Some states and counties charge fees for copies of records. In some jurisdictions, such as Montana, juvenile records may be sealed to the public, and a judge must rule as to whether access can be granted. Some juvenile records may be unavailable altogether, including minor incidents in Michigan.

Learn more about Public Records

Related Questions