How Do You Access the Dawes Rolls?

How Do You Access the Dawes Rolls?

You can access the Dawes Rolls, officially called the Final Rolls of the Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory, via the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS) website. The Dawes Rolls list those granted membership in the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole tribes from 1898-1906.

  1. Choose someone to research

    OHS recommends beginning with a first and last name in mind. The person should have lived in the Indian Territory during the enrollment period (1898-1906). Search for married women under their married last names.

  2. Run the search

    Enter the individual's first and last names in the labeled search boxes on the OHS website. If the person's tribe is known, choose the appropriate option from the drop-down list of tribes. If available, enter the Roll Number and Call Number as well.

  3. Check other sources, including the 1900 U.S. Census

    If searching the Dawes Rolls is unsuccessful, OHS has a number of other databases available in its online Research Center. OHS also recommends checking U.S. Census records from the year 1900. Federal census records are maintained by the National Archives and may be accessed online or in person at one of their regional centers or at a state-level archive or library.