Construction of the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport began in 1947, and commercial flights began in 1949. It was constructed on land previously occupied by the U.S. Army's Camp Patrick Henry, which was used during WWII to fly troops to the war in Europe. The airport is publicly owned by the Peninsula Airport Commission and is located 9 miles northwest of Newport News, Va.Continue Reading
The airport was first named the Patrick Henry Airport, or PHF, for Patrick Henry Field. After a customs center was added and service at the airport grew, it was renamed Patrick Henry International Airport. The airport was renamed again in 1990 as the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport, to reflect its role as an area-wide community airport.
Delta, Frontier, People Express and US Airways operate out of the airport, as of 2014. The airport offers wireless Internet service, and it accommodates approximately 242 flights per day on two runways As of 2014, approximately 29 percent were local general aviation flights, 28 percent were military flights, 24 percent were transient general aviation flights, 16 percent were air taxi flights and 3 percent were commercial fights. A pilot school housed at the airport offers flight training, aircraft rental, sightseeing flights, pilot supplies, computerized weather forecasts, Internet access and bathrooms.Learn more about The South