The West End Bridge is a steel bowstring arch bridge that holds the distinction of being the first bridge on the Ohio River. The bridge, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, connects the city's North Side district with its West End district. The bridge, built from 1930 through 1932, measures 1221 feet long and has a main span length of 780 feet. The bridge features one main span and three approach spans, which make the total length of the bridge 1978.75 feet.
The bridge has wire cable hangers and a trussed arch, also known as a braced ribbed arch. The bridge also offers pedestrian walkways on both sides. Built by the American Bridge Company of New York, New York and designed by the Allegheny County Department of Public Works, the West End Bridge features prime views of the Pittsburgh skyline and the confluence of the Allegheny River, Monogahela River and Ohio River.
The West End Bridge officially opened on Dec. 2, 1932 and cost $3,640,000. As of 2015, the most recent rehabilitation of the bridge occurred in 1991. National Register of Historic Places placed the bridge on its list in 1979 while the List of Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation Historic Landmarks added the bridge in 2001.