Veterans Park, previously named Port Richmond Park, is the oldest park in Staten Island, New York. The park, which was once enclosed by an iron fence, is an open square with a flagpole at the center. The park is surrounded by Victorian-style homes and 19th-century buildings.Continue Reading
Urban developers laid out Veterans Park in 1836 as they mapped the streets of Port Richmond’s village. The park, which was a common area in Port Richmond, was named Port Richmond Park in 1898 after the consolidation of the city. Local legislators renamed the park in 1949 as a tribute to American veterans. The park has a large decorative drinking fountain with engravings dedicated to Eugene G. Putnam and a stone monument that commemorates the Sullivan's Attack of 1777.
In the 1920s, the city's police department erected a police booth and a storage area in Veteran's Park. The booth, and the iron fence that surrounded the park, were pulled down to create an open green square. In 1996, Mayor Giuliani allotted $470,000 for the renovation of the park.
Veteran's Park is surrounded by 18th-century buildings such as the St. Phillips Baptist Church and the Park Baptist Church. The park has nearly two dozen trees and a path lined with benches, as of 2015.Learn more about Geography