Which Travel Agencies Can Renew a Passport?


Quick Answer

Travel agencies are not authorized to renew passports. In the United States, a passport can only be renewed by submitting an application to the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

An application for renewal of a U.S. passport may be submitted by mail if certain conditions are met. The most recent valid passport must not be damaged, and it has to be submitted with the application. The applicant must be at least 16 years old, and the most recent passport must have been issued no later than 15 years before the application date. The passport applicant must still go by the same legal name under which the passport was issued, or if the applicant has had a legal name change, documentation, such as a wedding license or a government-issued document with the new name, must be provided. If any of these conditions are not met, the applicant must apply in person for passport renewal.

Passports renewed by mail in the United States can only be mailed to U.S. or Canadian addresses. Citizens of the United States that reside outside of the United States or Canada must renew their passports in person at the nearest U.S embassy or consulate. U.S. citizens residing in Canada may apply for renewal by mail if they meet the requirements, but they are required to fill out a separate form.

Learn more about Geography

Related Questions