How Do You Renew a Child's Passport Online?


Quick Answer

Children age 15 and under cannot renew their U.S. passports online or by mail. If they are in the United States, they must apply in person with their parents at a Department of State passport agency or an authorized passport application acceptance facility. If they are overseas, they must apply with their parents at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

To renew their passports, children must submit Form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport. One 2-inch by 2-inch color photo must accompany each application. The child's current or expired U.S. passport can serve as proof of U.S. citizenship as long as it is undamaged. Parents must submit documents that prove their relationship to the children such as a U.S. or foreign birth certificate, adoption decree, consular report of birth abroad or custody decree.

Both parents must consent to their children's passport renewal. If one parent is absent, the accompanying parent must present an original Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent, that the absent parent has signed and dated in front of a certified notary public, and a copy of the absent parent's ID. An accompanying parent who cannot obtain the other parent's consent in time must submit Form DS-5525, Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances, which details the reasons that the absent parent is unavailable.

Learn more about Geography

Related Questions