Paragon fine bone china originated with the Star China Company, which began using the name in 1903. The company was awarded royal warrants of appointment for regularly supplying royalty with fine china. The Star China Company changed its name to the Paragon China Company in 1920.
Herbert James Aynsley, John Gerrard Aynsley and William Illingworth were the originators of the Paragon China Company. Fine bone china pieces were often numbered with a letter prefix and a numerical suffix. These numbers designated the color of the pattern. Paragon became a part of Royal Doulton in 1972. The name Paragon continued to be used until 1992, when it was discontinued.