Mission Santa Ines, located in Solvang, California, was founded in 1804 by the Franciscan Fathers. The 19th of 21 California missions, it was established by the Spanish Crown in an attempt to create a presence in the region and protect the territory from Russia and England.
The Franciscan Fathers taught the native population Spanish culture, the tenets of the Christian Church and a trade. Some of the trades and skills taught included ranching, farming, and candle making.
The Earthquake of 1812 damaged or destroyed much of the work that the Fathers had done in the first eight years of the mission. The Fathers repaired and rebuilt the buildings and the mission began to thrive in the early 1900s.
Mission Santa Ines is still an active parish. With over 200 years of history, it houses a museum and gift shop and is open to the public.