Avenue des Champs-Elysees was originally created by Marie de Medicis in 1616. In 1667, Andre Le Notre redesigned the boulevard as an extension of the Jardin de Tuileries. It was given the name Grande Allee du Roule. In 1694, it was renamed Champs-Elysees, which French for Elysian Fields, after the paradise for heroes in Greek mythology.
Avenue des Champs-Elysees is known among residents and tourists for its restaurants, cafes, and high-end stores. Every July 14, a parade travels down the boulevard in honor of Bastille Day. It can be reached using line 1 on the Paris Metro.Learn more about France