Located in San Antonio, Texas, the Alamo is an old Spanish mission that covers nearly 3 acres and consists of a church, the Long Barrack, a gift shop, a research center and Alamo Hall. The Alamo also contains an amphitheater. In 1836, the layout was slightly different, with a section covering what is today Alamo Plaza. The old section had American Indian living quarters, Lieutenant Colonel William Travis' headquarters, a hospital and the mission's 18-pound cannon.Continue Reading
The Long Barrack, now the Alamo Museum, was the residence of the priests and administrators and the location of the first hospital in Texas, established in 1805. The bloodiest clashes happened here during the 1836 battle. The North Wall in the old section gave way, allowing Mexican soldiers to breach the compound. The old entrance in the southwest, near the 18-pounder, is now the entrance to the River Walk, a tourist attraction filled with shops, restaurants, pubs and quiet spaces.
In today's Alamo layout, the Long Barrack occupies roughly the same space, but the entrance to the historic site is now near the church. North of the church is the gift shop, along with a Wall of History that shows the Alamo's timeline from its founding to the present day. East of the church are the Alamo Gardens, with pathways leading south to the research center and Alamo Hall and east to the restrooms, security office and amphitheater.
Houston Street, Bonham Street, Crockett Street and Alamo Street surround the entire modern-day complex. East Alamo Street, a pedestrian-only roadway, separates Alamo Plaza from the rest of the site.Learn more about Geography