Some interesting facts about Muskego, Wisconsin are that the city allows livestock and fowl only on land that is 2.75 acres or larger and that the city has winter parking regulations in effect from December 1 until April 1 of each year. The Potawatomi tribe of Native Americans named the Muskego area Mus-kee-Guaac, meaning sunfish. Europeans settled the Muskego area in the 1800s.Continue Reading
On land 2.75 acres or larger, a person may keep one livestock or horse or 20 fowl per acre of land. Temporary regulations can alter the city's typical parking regulations. In addition to traditional winter parking regulations, parking rules prohibit parking on public streets during snow emergencies. The city has authority to remove vehicles that are improperly parked and charge the cost of removal to the vehicle's owner.
Prior to the arrival of Europeans in 1827, large numbers of Potawatomi lived in the Muskego area because of the area's natural resources that include three lakes, forests and animals for hunting. The first European established a trading post in the Muskego area. The trade post survived for two years. In 1833, the Potawatomi gave the land to the state of Wisconsin. Despite giving away the land, the Potawatomi remained in the area until the 1870s.
With European settlement, cholera arrived in the Muskego area in the 1840s. The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Co. began a trolley service from Milwaukee to Muskego in 1904, attracting tourists to enjoy Muskego's natural attractions. Additional tourism brought new commerce to the area with the popularization of cars in the 1920s. In 1925, the Muskego Beach Amusement Park began operation.Learn more about The Midwest