Fort Rucker in Alabama is home to the U.S. States Army Aviation Center of Excellence and serves as the headquarters for all Army aviation flight training and operations. The Unites States Army Aviation Museum, which is open to the public, is also located at Fort Rucker.Continue Reading
Fort Rucker was originally established as a World War II training camp called Camp Rucker. It was named in honor of Edmund W. Rucker, a Civil War Confederate officer from Alabama. The camp trained personnel for service in the Pacific and European World War II theaters, and its first division was deployed in 1943. Camp Rucker also trained Women's Army Corps personnel, as well as tank and infantry replacement units.
For a brief period during World War II, German and Italian prisoners of war were held in stockades at Camp Rucker. After the war, Camp Rucker was dormant until 1950 when it reopened for the Korean War. In 1954, the Army began to relocate the Army Aviation School to Camp Rucker from its previous location in Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The post was officially renamed Fort Rucker in 1955, and the Army officially became responsible for its own aviation training, separate from the U.S. Air Force, in 1956.Learn more about Geography