The Greek island of Navarone is actually named Leros. The island became famous after World War II when it was the site of the Great Battle of Leros.
"The Guns of Navarone" was a 1957 novel which told the tale of the World War II battle on Leros. Because of this book, the small Greek island became popular. After the novel's success, "The Guns of Navarone" was adapted into an audio book, radio show and film.
In reality, Leros was the site of a battle that lasted almost 50 days. The Battle of Leros began on September 23, 1943 and lasted until November 16, 1943. The battle ended when German forces invaded the small island in a maneuver called Operation Leopard.
The island is home to the Castle of Leros and several museums, and despite receiving a lot of visitors, still holds a natural beauty that attracts thousands of tourists each year. The capital city of Leros is Platanos, and the island is filled with pristine beaches.
Leros, Greece, lies about 197 miles from Athens and can be reached by a 45-minute flight or 11-hour ferry ride. The island is only 29 square miles and has a population of around 8,000 people, as of 2011.