The Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Center system was established in 1849 and closed in 2010. The first hospital in the system was St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan, located in Manhattan in Greenwich Village.
St. Vincent's Hospital had a long-standing reputation for caring for anyone in need, with a particular focus on the indigent who could not obtain health care elsewhere. It was the third hospital established in New York City, after The New York Hospital and Bellevue Hospital. As the name of the eventual medical system the hospital anchored indicates, it was founded in Catholic tradition and named for St. Vincent de Paul.
The original hospital went on to greatly expand, beginning with a nursing school that opened in 1892. The Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Center system was formally established in 2000 when St. Vincent's Hospital merged with the Catholic Medical Centers of Brooklyn and Queens and the Sisters of Charity Healthcare system, which included six different hospitals in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.
In addition to serving the indigent, St. Vincent's Hospital had a reputation for being the primary care center during major crises in the city. Examples include the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of 1911, the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and the attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001.