The Hale Koa, a military hotel on the western end of Waikiki Beach, was once known as Fort DeRussy. Covering 72 acres of prime beachfront real estate, it was home to Battery Randolph in 1911, that as of 2016, remains an Army Museum. Despite its desirable location, the fort was not considered suitable for military galas and other events. On Oct. 10, 1975 the newly built Hale Koa Hotel solved that suitability problem.
Honoring Hawaiian custom, the property received a traditional blessing and royal procession. The name "Hale Koa" means "house of the warrior," and the property remains an all-service hotel for active and retired military personnel and their families.
In 1991 a luau garden, new swimming pool complex and more eateries were added, along with better access from Kalia Road. In 1995 the addition of the Maile Tower doubled the available accommodations, from 419 to 817 rooms. A 1,100-stall parking structure was also added, along with an adult pool, fitness center and the restaurant, Bibas.
The Hale Koa is self-funding, with no tax dollars used in its operation. The Waikiki property welcomes more that 1 million military members and their families annually. Rates are not only determined by the type of room requested, but by military rank.