Historic hotels in Edinburgh include the Balmoral, the Scotsman Hotel, the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh Caledonian and the Abbey Hotel. The Balmoral opened in 1902 and sits on the border of Old Town. The hotel was built as a posh railway hotel, and the huge tower clock still runs three minutes fast so guests don't miss their trains. As of 2015, the Balmoral Spa and the Number One restaurants both still win awards.
The Scotsman Hotel is named after the Scotsman Newspaper, which once occupied the stately stone buildings. The main newspaper building was built in the 1890s; it housed the printing presses in the basement and carrier pigeons in what is now the hotel's Penthouse Suite. When the Scotsman Newspaper moved to a new office in 2001, the Victorian structures were converted into a 56-room and 12-suite hotel, apartments, shopping and restaurant space.
The Caledonian carries the Waldorf Astoria name, but to the locals the 100-year old property is still "The Caley." Built as another railway hotel, the Victorian era property is close to Edinburgh Castle and the shops, pubs and restaurants on George Street. Some of the guest rooms overlook the castle.
The boutique-style Abbey Hotel, which was once known as the Greenside Hotel, dates back to 1820. The intimate property only has 15 rooms, but they all offer period furnishings combined with amenities such as digital TV and wireless Internet. The Abbey is in the city center and is close to shops, restaurants and the gardens on Princes Street.