The first medical hospital established in Albany, N.Y., was Albany Hospital, which was opened in 1849. It shares its campus with Albany Medical College and, in 1982, the two organizations merged to form Albany Medical Center. As of 2015, Albany Medical Center is the only academic medical center in northeastern New York.
Albany Medical Center includes the 734 bed Albany hospital and a 425 physician practice at the college, which is the largest in the Capital region. The center's Alzheimer's program has been designated the Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center for the region by the New York's Department of Health. Other notable programs include cardiac care, critical care, surgical care and neonatal intensive care.