How Do You File an Application for a Lost Passport?


Quick Answer

To file an application for a lost passport, first report the passport lost by mail, by phone or online using electronic Form DS-64, Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport. Next, apply in person for a replacement at a passport agency, center or passport application acceptance facility. If you are overseas, replace a lost passport through the local U.S. embassy or consulate.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

If you are still in the United States but need the passport for travel within two weeks, you must apply in person at a Department of State passport agency or center and pay an expedite fee. Applications are by appointment only. If you did not submit online Form DS-64 at least two days before your appointment, submit paper Form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport, at your appointment. Based on how urgently you need the passport, expedited service can provide a replacement within eight business days. If you do not need your replacement passport within two weeks, you can replace your passport at any passport acceptance facility, which includes clerks of court, post offices and other government offices.

If you are unable to report your stolen passport by using Form DS-64 online, print a paper version of Form DS-64, and send it by post to the address provided on the form; or, call the toll-free phone number available on the U.S. Department of State website. Once you report your passport lost, you cannot use it again even if you find it. Send it to the U.S. Department of State, which cancels it and returns it or destroys it if you do not request a return.

Learn more about Geography

Related Questions