Jackson was founded in 1821 near Pearl River and was originally called LeFleur's Bluff. On November 28, 1821, the city became the state's seat of government. It was chosen for its central location in the state. LeFleur's Bluff was renamed Jackson after Major General Andrew Jackson, later known as President Andrew Jackson.
Jackson is located in Hinds, Madison and Rankin counties. As of the 2010 census, 173,514 people lived there. The city experiences mild winters and humid, hot summers. Its slogan is "Jackson, Mississippi: City with Soul."Learn more about Maps & Cartography