Savannah, Georgia serves as the county seat in Chatham County, which derived its name from the designation of the English prime minister William Pitt, Earl of Chatham. Savannah was the first English settlement in Georgia established by James E. Oglethorpe in 1733.
Savannah took its name from a Spanish word, which means "grassy plain." It encompasses around 103.15 square miles of land out of the 440.4 square miles comprising Chatham County. In 2013, the city's population was estimated at 142,772, based on data from the United States Census Bureau. There was a 4.7 percent increase from the previous census conducted in 2010.