On what continent is Turkey located?


Quick Answer

Turkey is located on the continents of Asia and Europe. The vast majority of the country, 97 percent, lies in Asia, taking up most of the Anatolian peninsula. The remaining 3 percent of Turkey lies in the European continent.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The largest city of Turkey, Istanbul, also straddles the two continents. Located on the Bosporus strait, this city has long been a powerful arbiter of international trade because it controls sea traffic between the Mediterranean and Black Seas. On the European side, Turkey borders Greece and Bulgaria, while the Asian side of the country borders Syria, Iraq, Iran, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Learn more about Europe

Related Questions