As of 2014, the capital of Mississippi is Jackson. Jackson was founded in 1821 and was named for Major General Andrew Jackson, who would become the seventh President of the United States.
In the early 1800s the state legislature wanted the capital moved from the Natchez area to a more central location. The location for Jackson was formerly a trading post in a town known as LeFleur's Bluff. The city of Jackson was planned in a checkerboard pattern where parks and open spaces alternated with city blocks. By 2014, many of the once-open spaces have been developed and the city has grown to 106.8 square miles.