Can You Renew Your Passport by Mail?


Quick Answer

United States Passports and International Travel website of the U.S. Department of State states that a passport can be renewed by mail if the applicant's most recent passport is undamaged, issued when the applicant was 16 years or older, was issued within the last 15 years and was issued in the applicant's current name. If the applicant's name was changed after the issuance of the last passport, the applicant must provide supporting legal documents as proof of the name change.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Supporting documents for the name change may include an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate or a legal document issued by the government stating the applicant's name change. To submit a U.S. passport application by mail, applicants must also fill out Form DS-82, pay the applicable fee and include one passport photo. Applicants must include the previous passport with the application. Form DS-82 is available for download from the Department of State's website and can be printed and completed by hand or completed online and then printed before mailing.

Learn more about Geography

Related Questions