When was BWI Airport opened?


Quick Answer

The Baltimore/Washington International Airport was opened in 1950, a month after President Harry S. Truman officially dedicated it. At its opening, the airport's official designation was the Friendship International Airport, and it was initially owned by the City of Baltimore before being purchased by the State of Maryland in 1972.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The airport was renamed Baltimore/Washington International Airport in 1973 to show its increasing importance as a transportation center to the region around it. In 2012, several modernization projects were started at the airport, including the installation of a 505 kW solar photovoltaic system. The system is projected to provide the airport with approximately 600,000 kilowatt hours of electricity annually.

Learn more about Geography

Related Questions