Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc. was founded in Miami in 1925, originally operating under the name Table Supply Stores. The family of the founder, W.M. Davis, took control of Jacksonville-based Winn & Lovett in 1939, then merged this company with Dixie-Home Stores of Greenville, South Carolina in 1955. Henceforth, the company operated under the name Winn-Dixie.
Winn-Dixie merged with BI-LO in 2012, under a new parent company called Bi-Lo Holdings and later to be renamed Southeastern Grocers in 2015. Acquired Sweetbay stores were renamed Winn-Dixie stores. As of 2015, Winn-Dixie has more than 72,000 employees across 790 stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi.