To steam zucchini, cut the vegetable into slices, place the pieces into a steamer basket, and steam them above a pot of boiling water for approximately 7 minutes. A cup of zucchini equals one serving, which has 70 calories and 6 grams of fat.
The following steps explain how to steam zucchini, with the option of adding a bit of sesame, soy and lemon for an extra tasty dish:
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Ready in: 15 minutes
- 3 zucchini
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Prepare and steam the zucchini:
- Make and add the sauce (optional):
Cut the zucchini into 1/2-inch slices, then cut all slices into half-moon shapes. Add the equivalent of 1 inch of water to a pot of water and bring to a boil on high heat. Add the zucchini to a steamer basket and place it over the pot. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot and steam for up to 7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, lemon juice, oil and sesame seeds and mix well. Add the zucchini to a serving dish and drizzle sauce onto the zucchini.