As of 2015, Giant Food of Carlisle, Pennsylvania operates stores in Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland. Giant Food of Maryland operates stores in Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and Washington, D.C. Both Giant Food chains are owned by, but operate independently of, Royal Ahold of the Netherlands.Continue Reading
David Javitz founded Giant Food of Carlisle in 1923, originally naming it the Carlisle Meat Market. The first store was a two-man butcher shop that sold only meat. In 1936, Javitz founded the Giant Shopping Food Center grocery store in Lewistown, Pennsylvania. In 1981, the Netherlands-based food retailer Royal Ahold purchased Giant-Carlisle. In 1997, the Giant-Carlisle company merged with another Ahold-owned company, Edwards Super Food Stores. Around the turn of the 21st century, Giant Food Stores expanded to include gas stations, floral departments and full-service delis.
In 1936, Nehemiah Meir "N.M." Cohen and Samuel Lehman founded Giant-Carlisle's sister company, Giant-Landover, in Washington, D.C. In 1958, the company opened nine Super Giant full-service grocery stores. The same year, Giant-Landover moved its headquarters and distribution center to Landover, Maryland. In 1962, Giant-Landover opened a combination grocery-pharmacy store at the Southdale Shopping Center in Glen Burnie, Maryland. In 2012, the Giant-Landover company moved its grocery distribution center to Pennsylvania.Learn more about Grocery