An easy recipe for carne asada grills beef chuck marinated in garlic salt, black pepper and vinegar, before cutting into small chunks. These are served in toasted bolillo rolls with mayonnaise, onions, cilantro, avocado, lettuce and tomato, as well as a Torta Salsa of tomatoes, jalapenos and onions.
This easy recipe yields 8 servings.
Prep Time: 45 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Ready In: 3 hrs. 5 min.
- 2 1/2 lbs. chuck roll, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tbsp. garlic salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 c. white vinegar
- 8 bolillo rolls, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 medium onions, diced
- 1 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 avocados, halved and sliced
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced, plus 3 quartered
- 6 jalapenos
- 3 1/2 c. water
- Prepare Torta Salsa
- Marinate the beef
- Toast bolillo rolls Heat a pan on a medium setting. Spread each of the bolillo roll halves with mayonnaise and place mayonnaise side down into the pan. Toast until golden in color.
Bring the water to a boil with the quartered tomatoes, a third of the onion and the jalapenos. Allow to cook until the onions soften and become translucent, then allow to cool before blending to a smooth consistency. Set aside.
Season the beef rounds on both sides with garlic salt and black pepper, then refrigerate in a mixing bowl with the vinegar for upwards of 2 hours.
Heat a grill to a high temperature and add the marinated beef. Cook to taste, then remove and chop into 1-inch chunks. Place in a bowl and cover with foil. Set aside.
For each serving, take the bottom half of a bolillo roll and top with the avocado slices, grilled beef, a mixture of cilantro and the rest of the onion, and the prepared Torta Salsa. Add the shredded lettuce and others two slices of tomato, before closing with the top half of the roll and halving to serve.