What should I do if my child drank spoiled milk?


Quick Answer

If a child drinks spoiled milk, rinse his mouth with water. The child may vomit initially because of the bad taste of the milk, but he will usually not develop a foodborne illness, according to The Stir. Medical care is recommended if the child develops diarrhea, fever or prolonged vomiting.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Spoilage bacteria grow well in the cooler temperatures of the refrigerator and cause food to develop bad tastes, odors and textures, according to the USDA. While spoiled food is unpleasant to consume, it usually does not cause illness. To maintain food safety, it is best to keep the refrigerator at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Any food that is kept at a temperature above 40 degrees Fahrenheit for more than two hours should be discarded due to the risk of bacterial growth. Ensuring that the refrigerator doors are closed tightly and not opened unnecessarily helps the refrigerator maintain a safe temperature.

A clean refrigerator is a key factor in keeping food safe, according to the USDA. Spills should be wiped up immediately with hot, soapy water. If food has spoiled or should no longer be eaten, it should be discarded immediately. To ensure the refrigerator's best performance, the grill and condenser coils should be kept free of dust, dirt and lint.

Learn more about Food Spoilage

Related Questions