Q:

Is it safe to eat mango skin?

A:

Quick Answer

The skin of a mango is safe to eat as long as the person eating it does not have a strong sensitivity to urushiol, the active chemical found in poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak, About.com states. Handling or consuming the skin can cause dermatitis in allergic individuals.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Most people avoid the skin of the mango fruit because it's tough and bitter tasting, writes Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D. on About.com. The skin is actually full of beneficial antioxidants, such as mangiferin, norathyriol and resveratrol. Urushiol is also present in the flesh of the fruit but in much smaller qualities than the skin. For those who prefer to avoid the skin, it's easy to peel a mango with a common vegetable peeler or paring knife.

Learn more about Fruits & Veggies

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What plants cause hives as an allergic reaction?

    A:

    Plants that cause hives include sumac, poison ivy and poison oak, according to MedicineNet.com. Patients can get hives through direct contact with the plant or by touching anything that came into contact with the plant. It is also possible to get hives after touching a stinging nettle plant.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the difference between poison oak and poison ivy?

    A:

    The primary way to distinguish between poison oak and poison ivy is by where the plant grows. Poison oak generally grows along the West Coast of the United States, while poison ivy grows in the remainder of the states, according to About.com. Both plants have three-leaflet leaves and white berries.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    How do you treat poison oak and poison ivy?

    A:

    Treat poison oak or poison ivy by applying a wet cloth to the rash and/or soaking the area in cool water, WebMD recommends. Use calamine lotion to help relieve itching. Patients should avoid scratching the rash as scratching can cause a skin infection.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is witch hazel used for?

    A:

    Witch hazel has many uses, including clearing up spots and blemishes, soothing diaper rash, shrinking bags that form under the eyes, treating external hemorrhoids, relieving varicose veins and treating poison ivy, poison oak and chicken pox. It can also help bruises heal at a faster rate, soothe and possibly prevent razor burn, heal dry skin and cuts, relieve itchy bug bites, reduce eye redness, and serve as a natural deodorant.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore