Slow cooker apple butter is made using apples, sugar, apple cider and spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves are also used in the recipe.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
Slow cooker apple butter is easy to make and is easy to make at home. This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks, or it can be frozen for even longer.
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 9.5 to 11 hrs.
Ready In: 12 hrs.
- 5 pounds of apples
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 whole star anise pod
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh apple cider
- Wash, peel, core and then slice the apples into thin slices.
- Add the prepared apples and the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir the ingredients to ensure even mixing. Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook the ingredients on high for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Reduce to low and cook for another hour, and then remove the anise pod. Return to low heat and allow to cook for up to 9 hours or overnight.
- Strain the apple butter with a strainer or pass though a food mill. This will remove any lumps in the apple butter.
To preserve the apple butter, pack it into hot jars before processing it in a boiling hot water bath for around four minutes. Be sure to leave 1/4 inch of head space above the apple butter in each jar.