A recipe for old-fashioned prune cake combines flour, salt, baking soda and spices with creamed butter and sugar, eggs and dried prunes before baking. Adding coffee helps to enhance the flavor and moistness of the cake.
Old-fashioned Prune Cake
This recipe yields eight large servings.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Ready In: 45 min.
- 1 1/2 cups, dried and pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 3/4 cups, flour
- 1/2 tsp., salt
- 1 tsp., cinnamon
- 3/4 cup, margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups, sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup, boiling coffee
- Heat oven to 375 F. Grease three 9-inch layer pans with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Combine the flour, salt, mace and cinnamon with a third of the baking soda in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter with the sugar, and then add the eggs and finally the prunes, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the baking soda to the coffee. Alternately add the flour mixture and the coffee to the creamed eggs, sugar and butter, combining thoroughly.
- Pour the cake batter into the pans and bake for up to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.