Non-dairy whipped topping can be made by whipping coconut cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla extract. Coconut cream sets up like heavy whipping cream to form a whipped topping.
Whipped Coconut Cream
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 0 minutes Ready In: 10 minutes
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or almond extract
- Coconut cream separates away from the liquid, especially if left in the refrigerator for at least four hours. Don't shake it before opening it. Spoon out the cream, leaving the liquid, and place it in a mixing bowl. Coconut cream can be purchased by itself, rather than the milk mixed with the cream. Take the time to refrigerate it, however, as it will create a more stable whipped cream.
- Add the sugar; add more if a sweeter taste is desired, especially if using coconut cream, which will have more cream in it than a can of just coconut milk.
- Add the vanilla or almond extract. Double the amount for a can of coconut cream.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, blend the ingredients together until peaks form.
- Serve immediately with a favorite dessert as it will not be as stable as regular whipped cream in time.