Myron Mixon's dry rub calls for brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, kosher salt and black pepper. This rub can be used on any cut of meat desired for barbecue.
This dry rub will last up to 6 months in an air tight container if using the freshest herbs available. If the herbs have started to lose their flavor, use the rub right away. Any brand of spice that has a good flavor works in the recipe. If desired, purchase whole spices and grind them down to use in the rub. Some rubs give the meat a pink color, making it appear raw even after cooking. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the food. Remove it from the heat approximately 5 to 10 degrees lower than the ideal temperature because the temperature will continue to rise after removing it from the heat.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, and place them into a container before storing.