Carroll Shelby's chili can be made using beef round steaks and ground chuck steaks, beer and Monterrey Jack cheese. Cooked for 3 hours, the flavors marry together, creating a rich chili.
Carroll Shelby's Chili
This recipe requires quite a few ingredients, but the steps are simple enough to follow than even novice cooks will find it easy to make. It yields 4 to 6 servings.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Ready in: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup cooking oil or 1/4 pound suet
- 1 pound beef round steak ground into a coarse chili grind
- 1 pound beef chuck steak ground into a coarse chili grind
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Crumble the ground meat into the pot, breaking up any large clumps. Cook until evenly browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, crushed red pepper flakes, beer, garlic, onion, 1 teaspoon cumin, oregano and paprika. Stir to evenly combine and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and allow the mixture to cook at a simmer for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, taste and add seasonings as desired. Add the cayenne pepper and simmer for 1 more hour, uncovered.
- Stir in the cheese and the remaining cumin. Simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent the cheese from burning. Serve the chili hot, with bread, if desired.