Are Mountain Ash Berries Poisonous?

Are Mountain Ash Berries Poisonous?

Mountain ash berries are not poisonous. Many species of birds eat them. In addition, the berries are used to make jams, jellies, wines and cordials.

Mountain ash berries stay on trees for a long time. The fruit can survive cold weather, and, therefore, it is available as a winter food for many birds. Some species of mountain ash have pale pink berries, but birds favor the types with bright orange berries.

Berries from the mountain ash, or dogberry, tree are a good source of niacin and vitamins A and C. They also contain a significant amount of pectin, which is useful in jam making.