Whole Cranberry Relish
This recipe for whole cranberry relish was originally published in "Jasper White's Cooking From New England," and it is hosted on the Epicurious website. Reviewers rate it very favorably.
Prep time: 20 min.
Cook time: 8 min.
Ready in: 28 min.
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger
- 1 12-ounce bag of frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- Cut the zest off the orange peels, and slice it into very thin slices. Juice the oranges, and set the juice aside. Slice the ginger into very fine strips.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan, and cook it over low heat. Cook the mixture until the sugar begins caramelizing. Add the ginger and orange zest, and cook the caramelized syrup for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook until the cranberries start to pop. This can take 5 to 7 minutes.
To prepare the cranberry relish fresh, slice the orange and remove the seeds. Add the berries, orange, sugar and flavors to a food processor, and blend the mixture.
Learn more about Cooking