Making buttercream frosting is easy and requires mixing together ingredients such as powdered sugar, vanilla and butter until creamy. This recipe takes about 10 minutes to make and is easy enough for a novice cook.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
This recipe makes vanilla buttercream frosting. However, other flavors may be added and it can be made into different colors by adding food coloring.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 10 minutes
Yields: 3 1/3 cups, enough for one 13x9-inch cake or an 8 or 9-inch layer cake.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and butter by hand or with an electric mixer on low speed until creamy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Gradually add the remaining milk until the frosting becomes smooth and spreadable. If the frosting is too thick, stir in more milk. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
This frosting recipe can be made to incorporate other flavors. For added variety, try adding in lemon juice, chocolate, peanut butter or maple. Cream cheese can also be added to make a cream cheese frosting perfect for red velvet or carrot cake.