Make Mexican chicken tortilla soup in a Crock-Pot by adding ingredients such as chicken, diced tomatoes, green chilies and black beans to the Crock-Pot and cooking it for 9 to 12 hours. Serve the soup with sprinkles of grated cheese and cilantro.
Slow Cooker Mexican Tortilla Soup
This spicy soup is easy to make in a Crock-Pot while at work and provides a comforting meal at day's end. Prepackaged tortilla chips makes serving this soup even faster and more convenient.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 9 to 12 hrs.
Ready In: 12 hrs.
- 3 skinless chicken thighs
- 10-ounce can tomatoes with green chilies, diced
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 20 tortilla chips
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Place ingredients in slow cooker
- Remove meat from the slow cooker
Place skinless chicken thighs, beans, tomatoes, water, broth, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and jalapenos in the Crock-Pot. Cover the Crock-Pot. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, and then reduce the heat to low and cook an additional 6 to 8 hours.
Use tongs to remove the meat from the Crock-Pot. Allow to cool, then debone the meat and shred it. Return it to the pot, and stir in the juice from the lemon.
Crumble chips into each bowl, cover the chips with soup and then sprinkle with cheese and cilantro before serving.