Lima bean soup uses leftover ham, lima beans and a combination of other flavors and ingredients. The soup is allowed to simmer for about an hour, until the flavors meld and a delicious comfort food takes shape.
Ham and Lima Bean Soup
This recipe is easily adjustable to suit any taste and is a way to use up leftover ham after the holidays.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
- 3 16-ounce packages frozen lima beans
- 3 cups diced ham, more or less to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 russet potato, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 sliced processed cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring the ham, lima beans, onion, potato, butter, cheese, cornstarch, water, celery salt and pepper to a boil. Stir often, until the butter is melted.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Serve hot.
For an even easier ham and lima bean soup, mix all the ingredients in a Crock-Pot or other slow cooker. Cook on high for about 4 hours.