Traditional Irish ham and cabbage is made with ham, potatoes, cabbage and carrots. It is cooked together in one pot and seasoned with herbs and spices.
Traditional Irish Ham and Cabbage Dinner
This recipe is perfect for using leftover ham and can be put together and ready to serve in under 2 hours. It makes 10 to 15 servings.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 4 to 5 pounds smoked ham
- 1 large onion
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced,/li>
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 head of cabbage, quartered
- Bundle the parsley, thyme and onion in a cheese cloth. This will make removal easy later on.
- Place the ham in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Add all the other ingredients except the cabbage and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the ingredients until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Remove the herb bag and add the cabbage. Continue cooking at a simmer for another 20 minutes, or until the cabbage is cooked.
- Remove the ham from the pot and cut into large pieces. Place the ham on a serving platter.
- Arrange the carrots, cabbage and potatoes around the ham. Serve hot.