Traditional Irish Ham and Cabbage Dinner
This recipe is perfect for using leftover ham and can be put together and ready to serve in under 2 hours. It makes 10 to 15 servings.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 4 to 5 pounds smoked ham
- 1 large onion
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced,/li>
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 head of cabbage, quartered
Learn more about Meat
- Bundle the parsley, thyme and onion in a cheese cloth. This will make removal easy later on.
- Place the ham in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Add all the other ingredients except the cabbage and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the ingredients until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Remove the herb bag and add the cabbage. Continue cooking at a simmer for another 20 minutes, or until the cabbage is cooked.
- Remove the ham from the pot and cut into large pieces. Place the ham on a serving platter.
- Arrange the carrots, cabbage and potatoes around the ham. Serve hot.