Ina Garten's kale salad is called Winter Slaw and calls for kale, Brussels sprouts, radicchio, lemon juice, olive oil, kosher salt, ground black pepper, dried cranberries and Parmesan cheese. This recipe makes about eight servings of the salad and dressing.
Ina Garten's Winter Slaw
Substitutions can be made for the type of dried fruit and the additional greens used in the salad with the kale. If these are not in season using what is available at the time is allowable, but most of these greens should be available year round in the supermarket. The Parmesan cheese should be bought in a chunk but can be bought already shredded or grated.
Prep time: 20 min.
Total time: 20 min.
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and cored
- 6 large kale leaves, center rib removed completely
- 1/2 of a small radicchio head, cored
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 6 ounces Parmesan cheese
- Cut the Brussels sprouts, kale and radicchio into thin strips and put into a large bowl.
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper together in a separate small bowl to make the dressing. This gets poured onto the kale mixture in the larger bowl. Make sure the greens are moistened well and add the cranberries.
- Spread the Parmesan cheese onto the salad and toss. Check the seasonings and serve cold.