Hazelnut cookies are made by combining oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor, then adding this mixture to butter and sugar beaten with eggs and vanilla. The hazelnuts are stirred in before baking, along with toffee and chocolate chips.
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe is by Giada De Laurentiis, and it was featured on Food Network's "Everyday Italian" show. It yields 48 cookies.
Prep time: 30 min.
Cook time: 45 min.
Ready in: 1 hr. 15 min.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 oz. English toffee candy, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped, toasted, husked hazelnuts
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 325 F, and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Grind the oats in a food processor, and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and combine thoroughly.
- Beat the butter and both sugars together until they reach a light and fluffy consistency. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat them to combine, and then stir in the oats and flour mixture. Finally, add the hazelnuts, toffee and chocolate chips, and combine.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough onto the baking sheets, without flattening them, spaced 1-inch apart. Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes, or until they have a golden color. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack to cool fully at room temperature.