French toast is made by dipping slices of bread into an egg mixture and then frying them until they are golden brown. The French toast can be seasoned with cinnamon and sugar and served with maple syrup.
This recipe is by Robert Irvine, and it was featured on the show "Dinner: Impossible" on Food Network. It is an easy recipe that yields four servings. The bread used for French toast should be between 1/2 and 1 inch thick, notes Real Simple Magazine.
Prep time: 20 min.
Cook time: 10 min.
Ready in: 30 min.
- 8 slices of bread, such as challah, white or broche
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup warmed maple syrup
- Combine the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in a small bowl, and set aside for later.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet. Whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract with the cinnamon mixture. Pour into a shallow container.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture and fry it until a golden brown. Flip to fry the other side. Serve with maple syrup.
Alternative French toast recipes include strawberry-filled French toast, coconut French toast with grilled pineapple, ciabatta French toast with marmalade drizzle, overnight caramel French toast and orange-pecan French toast casserole.