Dump cakes are simple recipes for kids and adults alike; they usually include a cake mix with additional ingredients like fruit, nuts and butter. As the name suggests, the ingredients are dumped into a pan and baked in the oven.
Most dump cakes require little or no mixing and can be made with any brand of cake mix. The following recipe is from Duncan Hines.
Cherry Dump Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes or until golden brown
Ready in: 1 hour
- 20-oz., crushed pineapple with juice, undrained
- 1 can, Duncan Hines Comstock Country Cherry pie filling
- 1 package, classic yellow cake mix
- 1 cup, pecan or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup, butter or margarine, softened to room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 13-inch-by-9-inch cake pan.
- Dump pineapple and juice into the pan and spread evenly. Dump pie filling into the pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the cake mix over the fruit and filling layers. Sprinkle the nuts over the cake mix and dot with the butter.
- Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes or until the top is slightly brown. Serve immediately warm from the oven or at room temperature. Recipe makes approximately 12 to 16 servings.